7/11/07

Word

Friend
It's a word that gets thrown around more than frisbees in the park
Tossing it back and forth to each other like a hot potato
To the point that it loses its significance
It takes more than a conversation to be called my friend
As it should be for me
It's more than a six-letter word, a introductory greeting or label
It means that you understand why I can be the loudest person you know on Tuesday
But come Wednesday why I don't say a word
You're not surprised when I wear this to this club, and that to that club
To be my friend, the application process is strenous
Fuck that, I discriminate
If you can't handle the heat, then you're not made for this kitchen
Because my life didn't come with A/C so my oven is always on
But the benefits are countless
A friend to me, is a sister in agony
A soldier in war
The power forward to my shooting guard
And I make cuts every couple of seasons
Oh yes, I do waive, playas
Because I take the word very serious
Expect a lot, and you get a lot
Get a lot, and you can give a lot
One hand washes the other
Like a true friend

No comments: