9/5/08

A Math Problem

$2.57 can buy a loaf of bread, six packs of Ramen Noodles and a Gatorade
$4.18 can buy a snickers and enough gas to get from school to home for three days
I placed out of college math just to be placed into life algebra
Variable A is how long I can go without a decent meal (always changing)
Variable B is the price of unleaded gasoline (always changing)
& C - C is 4, society's standard of college graduation
I'm not sure when life got reduced to a quadratic equation
But I majored in communication
Pulling A's and B's but can't convince an employer to hire me
At night, I empty my pockets to count up my copper and silver-plated hopes ready to roll
Hoping to make dollars in an economy that don't make sense
It's hard to run & jump & play in this recess that shuns ascension
Can't grow without seed
And the cloud over my head blocks the sun from shining my way
Though it doesn't always rain
Yesterday
I traded my pride for two cans of luncheon loaf & 30 minutes in a donation line
Gave new meaning to land of the free - home of the brave
My dignity only allows me to crawl on my hands and knees searching for glimmers of redemption when no one else is home
Desperation makes for great knee pads
And hunger's an effective motivator and creativity stimulator
So when my supply of food pickiness runs low and my body demands subsistence
I start mixing carbs and starches with no regard for nutritional value
3 weeks ago
Optical illusions turned nine cans of whole kernel corn into four barrels of gasoline
That's senior-level chemistry
And the university says I'm 42 credits away from financial freedom
But all I see is
My stafford loan shackles waiting on the other side of the graduation stage
Subsidizing me with its interest rates
Sallie Mae says do the math
Replace the variables with numbers and I got
Angry cause I know a corporate company made millions this year
And was given more than $300 from the government
Professor said No Princess
The answer is 1
One chance to get it right
Or you fail

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was there when you composed this... Lol I feel like such a part of this. Comm Law rocks.