6/25/08

Poets

Poets
Ignite my fire
Set my world ablaze with carefully laid metaphors that detonate like land mines
Make me wanna change minds
And run lyrically rampant like I'm flying through stop signs
Cause even Aries can have their fire snuffed out
With watered down similes that give no air to my imagination
See I can blow out CO2 but I need a spark
To create the right chemical reaction that forces my pen to paper
To scribe pieces about my uncle with cerebral palsy whose spirit only comes alive on Sunday mornings
And his vocal cords never strain as he sings Glory Glory Hallejuah Since I Laid My Burdens Down
And angry piece for the racist elementary school coach
As red in his face as he was on his neck
Who held my best friend up by his chest and said
"Don't you TOUCH that WHITE boy!"
My ex who taught me insecurity
My mom who taught me to believe in me
My cousin who taught me that smoking weed
Doesn't make you a hippie
Or a hopeless junkie
Because God dripped the ability to save lives on our tongues
So if you can't inspire me
Someone who was born with granite fingernails
Black and blue ink coursing through my veins
Then let's just call a press conference now so we can retire your name
And your pen
Or just save your poetry for close and family
EVERYBODY wants to make a difference but
NOBODY expects to only have 3 minutes and 10 seconds to do it in
But we revel in it like country pigs and fresh slop
So get on this stage and make it hot
Leave a wake of charred microphones and collapsed venues behind
And if you can't do that
Stop wasting my time

No comments: