8/20/08

Starry-less Nights

City lights block my answers
Longing for the time solutions could be found in constellations
I resort to searching the dripped dried paint of my bedroom ceiling for comfort
The main light fixture my moon, smoke detector my polaris
But the white stucco only yields animals and clowns
As futile as watching clouds in an afternoon sky, hoping you and
A friend can guess what the next marshmallow will make
I don't like playing games cause
"When in doubt pick C" doesn't always work for me
I need some kind of certainty
Dependent on man made creations, no longer turning to God's eyes
Much rather listen to man's thoughts
With light pollution swallowing our dreams whole
Maybe that's why they say country life is easy
All the answers show themselves at night and under the stars solice can be found
But the hustle and bustle of suburbia serves as its own answer key
Little kids count the artificial stars of helicopters and airplanes
Never learning to look to the heavens when times get rough
Cause all they can see is darkness
And they can just look forward, backward, left right and down
if they want to see that
Singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, how I wonder WHERE you are?
Kids dreaming astronomical dreams turned unrealistic fantasies
of flying comets and shooting stars
Unrealistic cause "Who shoots stars?"
When cars are easier targets
Mama said I can't see the forest for the trees
But if all my evergreens look like lamp posts, what does that mean?
A starry-less night for a hopeless people
Didn't study for this test and can't peek up for clues
City lights block my answers
And I'm pretty sure
They block yours too

No comments: