3/9/09

Armor

I keep a can of silver polish for you
& everyday I diligently shine my suit of armor
Buffing out scratches and knocking out dents
Cause I want nothing more than to be your knight in shining armor
I waste days sharpening my sword I swore to protect you with
Just to fall on it later
Trippin' over big shoes of responsibility
Steps too established for my inexperienced feet
Spillin' the blood of slain victims condemned to death
By my charismatic disposition on my hands & heart
Blood stains deep
& the chinks in my armor feel more like dents in my confidence
Holes in my subconscious
But everyday I polish my suit
Because I want so desperately to be your knight in shining armor
Your Lancelot, your King Arthur
Because you've never had one
Entertained black knights in court jester uniforms
Shape-shifting fairies with lyres that only strum fables of forever and fidelity
But I'm
More like Alphonse Elric
An empty shell more metal than human
Using cheap alchemic romance to try and bring you happiness
I keep a can of polish for you
Hoping a fresh shine compensates for your demons still alive
& the ones that followed me into this quest
& all you want is a noble peasant
A dedicated blacksmith who loves and provides
But my ego would rather shoot for the stars
Even if my slingshot rocks can't make it that far
The dragons I've killed in past medieval times
Were Spyro compared to the serpents who hold your trust for me hostage
But every time I run off into battle
Trip over my feet & fall on my sword
To die another dishonorable death
The compassion you carry in your fingertips for me
Revives everything, even my foolish pride
& I go home
& I shine my suit of armor for you
Wishing that next time
I can make it past the castle walls
& bring you back a dragon's head
As a worthy prize

No comments: