4/21/08

Ode

There are not many times in life when you are reborn
But I was
Baptized in the eternal fire of poetic waters
Brought to the promised land by anointed saints touched by the hands of God
Who also blessed them with golden tongues
I was lucky
To have seen the light at such a young age
And to be cultivated by such talented mentors and teachers
Who passed down their knowledge, their passion to this youth
Their methods may have been uncouth
Speaking of zombies, feet, breath, wars, sex-hungry politicians, tangents and butterflyz
But the message got through
And on every stop my journey it became clearer to me
What my true purpose is
An urban Jasmine climbing the palace walls to reach her destiny
Guided along the way by a quirky cast of characters
Because I couldn't do it all by myself
I needed Him and you
So to Coco Fire, Alley Cat, Suga Sweet
Tony Rich, Lord Abraham, Seth and DEEP
Crow, Christopher-Michael, Mr. Nsatiable and Shake
PS, Dough, UN and Scorp
I say thank you for providing a sturdy safety net
Something to believe in when reality had me down
And providing me a lifeline
Cause spoken word saved my life

1 comment:

Cassie said...

i dono if i've told you ... but this rocks. and if i have to buy you shirts to inspire you so be it! ha :)

<3