3/5/08

What does the P stand for?

Someone asked me the other day
What does the P stand for?
I have the standard answer I coulda thrown their way
"My father named me Princess so he could always say I was
So I guess that's what the P in P-Dub stands for"
But I wanted to give her more
So I thought in my head
A few months ago on my death bed
The doctor told me I needed a transfusion
They took all the tests and out came confusion
Because no one in my family matched
Dad type O, Mom AB
But me, it seemed what I needed was type P
A fully saturated, fresh batch of liquid poetry
That was one option I could relay
Or I could say
I wanna be everyone's hero
Giving $200 before you pass go
And after, for years I've done this
So the P in P-Dub stands for protagonist
I first learned about them in high school English class
Beowulf, Frodo and Tom Sawyer's young ass
All have a lot in common with me
It came naturally to precede Dub with a P
But see
All that makes me sound elevated
Like I'm King Shit forever being hated
I haven't reached the top of the game, I'm still far away
So that P is potential because I grow every day

No comments: