2/13/08

He called me nigga today

A white boy called me nigger today
Said with such hatred in his eyes
And 400 years of oppression in his voice
He called me nigger
With a devilish grin because he could see
That another racist dagger had left a wound on my soul
I could hear my mother say “Just smile & nod” and so I did
Forced the expression on my face & walked away stunned because
A white boy called me niggar today
Said with such longing in his eyes
And 15 years of envy in his voice
He called me niggar
With a sheepish grin because he could see
That another wannabe had left an impression on my mind
I could hear my friend say “Just smile & nod” and so I did
Forced the expression on my face & walked away shocked because
A black boy called me nigga today
Said with such love in his eyes
And 20 years of ignorance in his voice
He called me nigga
With a mean mug because he could see
That another blind youth had left a bruise on my heart
I said to myself “Just smile & nod” and so I did
Forced the expression on my face & he walked away bewildered because
I didn’t say it back

1 comment:

E.F. Aberg said...

I dig this one a lot, for the structure, subject, and what you do with it.