6/12/07

My best friend

Up on that stage he was a different person
Bearing his heart and his soul with such deliberate passion
Opened up my eyes to what he was trying to become
But he was closer than I think he knew
I was mesmerized by his voice and constant hand gestures and the way he caressed the mic
I think I'm falling for my best friend
He knows that I've kissed enough frogs in my day
Some even talked a good game but all
Ultimately failed to become the prince to this Princess
For him, my curiosity would surely kill me like it always did
I was down to my last life and I couldn't afford to squander it
But MY GOD, up on that stage he was a different person
Showing his sensitivities and leaving his insecurities in the chair next to me
Transitioning into something I had hoped would belong to a future stranger
But he had been closer that I knew
I am in awe of the metaphorical complexities in this original piece he performs
He talks of love, lost and found in the strangest of places
Back to his seat he heads next to me and I congratulate him on a moving performance
I touch his shoulder to let him know I care and watch him sip his iced tea
He smiles at me and I realize the problem is
Kissing frogs in the first place

No comments: