6/25/07

Who I Am

I know you don't the profession I've chose
By the way you squint and turn up your nose
Already you see me as a servant to the man
Who holds us back at every chance he can
Well I'mma let you know that that's not what I'm about
I'm doing this to help my people out
Like Harriet Tubman, when I get to the top I'm coming back
To bring more like mt to help pick up the slack
I know that you're angry at what you see
A black man in handcuffs every time you click on the TV
Or another missing white woman on the front of the paper
When you know there's black families feeling the same anger
& Sadness after their daughter's gone
Disappeared in the night with no clues to go on
I'm working to change that slowly but surely
It's a process you gotta be patient with me
Don't look at me like I'm different than you
Just because at 21 I have a clear view
Of what I want to do wit my life that I hope evolves
Into giving thousands of blacks media management jobs
I'm just like you in this world today
Raised in a single parent home with no father for days
Listening to rappers talk about life
Trying to get by with a spoon when you really need a knife
I can talk the language of my generation
I just choose to speak with a little better pronunciation
That's how you let then know you got a mind
& Ain't just out there smokin' weed and wastin' time
I'm asking us to come together & lift each other up
Eat from one bread & drink from one cup
Stop arguing about people that say we are asleep
When my man right here is just trying to eat
I know that the media controls how we think
I'mma use it to pull my people from the brink
So when you ask me why I want to be a reporter
Well the industry's shady & needs to be taken over

No comments: